Thread veins, sometimes known as spider or broken veins are medically known as telangiectasia, are small clusters of red or blue veins that can appear on the face and legs. Thread veins are completely harmless; however they can appear to be more ageing than lines and wrinkles can.
What causes thread veins?
Thread veins appear when small blood vessels (known as capillaries) become permanently dilated and rupture. This leaves fine red or sometimes blue tree like appearances under the skin.
There are several different possible causes that may be a factor in thread veins;
- Age: Veins are a one-way system to transport blood around the body. As we get older our veins weaken and are not as efficient at stopping blood from flowing backwards.
- Medical History: Thread veins can be hereditary; if your family has suffered from either thread veins or varicose veins you are more likely to suffer from them at some point in life.
- Hormones: Changes in hormone levels caused by puberty, pregnancy, menopause or birth control pills can be a contributing factor to thread veins.
- Pregnancy: As well as the change in hormone fluctuation, pregnancy also increases the amount of blood in the body, causing veins to enlarge.
- Obesity: Being overweight can lead to high blood pressure, which can cause veins and capillaries to rupture.
- Sun Exposure: Thread veins that are found across the nose and cheeks can be a result of sun damage.
- Cold Weather Exposure: Facial thread veins can also occur because of cold weather.
Treatment for thread veins.
At ProSkin Clinics we use specialist technology to ease the look of, and eventually remove thread veins.
Book a free, no obligation Skin Analysis and Consultation appointment to find out what treatment will work the best for your skin.
Thread Vein Reduction
ProSkin Clinics offer the state of the art Elite MPX™ laser by CynoSure™ this safe and effective treatment is able to remove thread veins on all skin types and colours.
Short pulses of laser light energy target the unwanted vessels at the surface of the skin; this causes the blood vessel to collapse in a process called photothermolysis. This process uses the light produced by lasers to produce heat damage to remove blemishes and other skin problems such as thread veins.
The body’s natural waste process carries away all the broken down blood vessels, leaving the skin looking clearer and less red without harming the surrounding unaffected tissue.
The treatment can be performed on thread veins.
Read more about Thread Vein removal today.