What is PCOS?
Polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) is a female endocrine disorder effecting million of women in the UK. Most women with PCOS are diagnosed during their 20’s and 30’s, however it can affect girls as young as 11.
PCOS starts when there is a dramatic, ongoing change in a woman’s hormone balance. This hormone imbalance causes a lot of negative side effects, such as the growth of painful cysts on the ovaries, irregular or heavy periods, trouble getting pregnant, heart disease, sleep apnoea, weight gain, anxiety and other health issues.
These are just a few of the worrying, emotional struggles women with PCOS face:
- Heavy or irregular periods – This can lead to difficulty getting pregnant.
- Excess hair growth (hirsutism) – This is due to high levels of the male hormone testosterone. The hair is mainly on the face, the lower abdomen, back, buttocks and chest.
- Acne or oily skin – This usually occurs on the face, back and chest. It is due to hormone imbalances such as increased levels of androgens (male hormones).
- Other side effects include: weight gain, thinning hair, sleep apnoea, pelvic pain and anxiety or depression.
Effective treatments for the side effects of PCOS:
A lot of women lose confidence due to the side effects of PCOS. At ProSkin Clinics we are in a great position to help you regain that confidence. We have clients who have been successfully treated for symptoms of PCOS such as excessive hair growth and breakout prone skin.
- Laser Hair Removal – Laser hair removal is a very effective method of permanent hair reduction for women battling hirsutism. At ProSkin Clinics we would initially recommend a course of 6-8 treatments on the areas of concern and then carrying on with maintenance treatments every 3-4 months. The benefits of laser hair removal for women with polycystic ovary syndrome are significant as it keeps the excess hair growth under control and gets rid of stubble, providing a smoother appearance on the face and body.
- Skin Treatments- We offer a range of DermaQuest resurfacers and peels to help treat the skin, your skin care expert can help guide you on which one would best suit your needs. Peels and resurfacers help to deeply exfoliate and rejuvenate the skin, improving the skins texture and restoring radiance. They will effectively minimise the appearance of blemishes, enlarged pores and pigmentation.
How ProSkin can help:
We are offering 20% off all laser hair removal treatments to clients with PCOS who can provide a letter from their GP.
To Book a Free Consultation call or email us on:
Liverpool street – telephone: 02072567337
Harley Street – telephone: 02074864493
Support Groups: Verity is a self-help group for women with polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS). Their website offers support and information for women suffering with PCOS. Website – http://www.verity-pcos.org.uk/